Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Sam Babble

Children babble. Endlessly. To no one in particular. And as young children babble, they tend to repeat things they've overheard, seen on television, are currently witnessing or have been told by their parents. This is why one should carefully contemplate what they say to a child (or in a child's presence) before saying it.
So we're driving along in the car home from a visit with Grammy (which by the way resulted in a "sleeping" firefly in her kitchen--I'll get to that one another day) and the string of "Sam babble" floats gently up to the front of the minivan. . .

". . . and there was a frog on grammy's porch and he didn't bite me he was nice! and he lives on grammy's porch by her table and her new swing for her birthday and we caught him in a jar but he got away in the grass and Liz got a flashlight but he didn't see us and he came up the steps again! hahahahahahah and Bailey and Jaret are coming to mine house to stay and we're gonna play and that's not ours house and that's not ours house and that's not ours house and that's not ours house and that's not ours house and we can play baseball and swing set and soccerball and football and Daddy says if I like the Steelers he is gonna kick me out of mine house I can't like Steelers hafta like Ravens. . . ."


Now at this point I look over at my husband whom I would like to be able to say immediately assured his preschooler that he was mistaken and that a simple difference in team preference would not find him homeless, but alas, the husband responded with an incredulous "what??!!?, I'm glad the boy finally got it clear!"

Please let my son never come in direct contact with anyone from social services. . . .

No comments: